Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Learning….

You know those weeks where it seems like scripture is going in one eye and out the other…

Nothing seems to stick…

And then, for the Glory of God, one day it all seems to stick… that was this morning for me! I know it partly has to do with last week’s sermon being on…

Philippians 4: 8-9 “8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [e]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [f]dwell on these things. 9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (NASB)

Dwell or Meditate on these things, including LOTS of scripture! STOP letting things go in one eye and out the other.  I was convicted.  Praise God!

This morning I went back to…

Philippians 2:1-4 “1 Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any [a]affection and compassion, 2 make my joy complete [b]by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. 3 Do nothing [c]from [d]selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” (NASB)

Unity…Humility…Joy.. Servanthood.   I reread my notes from several sermons Reverend Jeffery Costa (my pastor) did on this passage.  It’s SO deep. Unity is SO important in the church. Joy is foundational, true, God-centered, Gospel-based Joy!  Humility…compared to the GREATNESS of how much Christ CHOSE, WILLINGLY to humble himself…is…I can’t find the words.  Servanthood is (to paraphrase Jeff) “Giving out of the treasure (the joy of our salvation) we have been given, when we feel like we have nothing left to give!”

These sermons were SO deeply convicting and encouraging…It was a HUGE blessing to be able to go back over them now, several months later.   This is why it’s SO important to take notes, stay meditating on the Word… it’s the only way to “connect the head and the heart” (Jeff).

There is SO much more I could say, but for now, I’ll stop here.

Love,

~H~

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Going back and reading notes are SO rich... it's like a sermon all over again :) Beautifully put, friend! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi : ) I love that verse...I keep meaning to do a painting or something and hang it above my kitchen sink...doing dishes always seems like a good time to dwell on what is good and pure and holy and eternal : ) I miss you today. Come to Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete