Sunday, October 31, 2010

.Our Niece and Nephew.

One of the newest additions to life since moving out to MA has been two of Mike’s cousin’s children… for simplicity sake we call them our niece and nephew.

Introducing Devin (AKA – the Cop)101023-211050 And Brittany (AKA – The Cowgirl, with my boots on :) )101023-210945Aren’t they cute??101023-210849

[Note: Sorry about the pic quality, these were just with my computer camera, having fun one night!]

Their life has been hard. terrible. beyond comprehension at points. The comforts you and I take for granted, they’ve barely had.  Yes, there are those who have had it rougher than they have, but the things these kids have seen, experienced and lived through blows my mind.

Their father got remarried and as soon as his new wife got pregnant, she decided she didn’t want these two around to hurt the new baby. So, they were sent back to live with their mother, who had no parents of her own, lives in the projects, and has no idea how to raise kids. 

Mike and I are attempting to be a small light in their lives, parents who love and discipline them, and people who show them the basic parts of living life [cleanliness, kindness to each other, sharing, allowing the adults to be the parents, etc.] 

It’s tough.  In some ways I feel like I’ve been thrown into parenthood WAY before being ready, even though it’s only one night a week.  Other times I realize my humanness.  And other times they melt my heart!

I love having them around, showing them how to be kids, and bring Christ into their lives a little at a time. So, I thought I would share them with all of you and thanks for your prayers over this part of our lives!

101023-210757

(Peace out!)

-Heidi-

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cool opportunity :) I love seeing a little sneak peek at your house too! You should take pictures sometime!

    And... I am saying a prayer for your time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and Mike to continue to be consistant & determined not to give up on these children.

    I've been learning that the vital importance that the majority of youth need in their lives is not programs, but mentors to help, love & guide them through out life.

    Thank you & Mike for taking a stand in loving them...and have TONS OF FUN!

    All my love.

    ReplyDelete